This is (in all likeliness) my last full year in Japan. With that realization, I thought, there are a few things I outta do before bugging out. I am glad to be over the hump, closer to leaving than arriving, but… Maybe I should do something cool while I am here. Actually I have a few sets of resolutions for the different areas of my life: health, money, personal development. I won’t go into the first two so much, well, maybe at the end of this post if I feel so tempted, but when I started this blog what I wanted to do was include old friends and new friends on the things I am doing to basically keep myself from getting cabin fever. The larger part of that is my linen pajama project. (Norah is the second-most common character in my blog, but that’s because I found her around the same time that I started blogging.)
Surprisingly over the holiday I somehow managed to NOT lay a finger on any of my linen projects. Before the onset of the holidays, I did manage to make an M/L (at least I think its M/L- I made it roomy just in case, and it may actually be an L). But I haven’t made any move to embroider it. I will though!
Upon returning to work, I was lucky that some coworkers approached me for some pajamas. So, I have some real work to do! So my Lovely In Linen New Year’s Resolutions:
1. Get sewing. Make one item/set per week.
2. Join a Team on Etsy. I am now trying to find one that will motivate me to be more involved in Etsy and network with people who like stuff that I do.
3. Keep up on the Forums on Etsy, and try to comment instead of lurk. I lurk a lot.
4. Make Treasuries twice a month. Actually I’d like to do more, but it can be tough to get a Treasury spot!
So that seems like enough to try and be resolute about. I hope to do waaaay more of course. Additionally, outside of Lovely In Linen, I want to add to my joys in life. I love movies and I love internet, and even video games (waiting for the English version of Final Fantasy 13 to come out as I watch Yo play it). But being inside in this rather small apartment all day is making me feel a little… frumpy. I need to get out more, for things not related to work or grocery shopping. So I thought these two things would be something to try this year:
1. Join the gym at the station for the swimming pool. I like swimming- Scorpio (that’s me) is a water sign, and I do love water! If I could swim a couple times a week, I think I’d be happy as a happy fish. This also crosses over into my health resolutions.
2. Taiko drumming! This is something I am only considering, because I am a little shy and not really confident with my Japanese communication skills, and most definitely the teacher will not speak English and I would most likely be the only non-Japanese person in the class. Most classes are once a week. I want to learn something really *Japanese* before I go back to the US, and ikebana (flower arrangement), sado (tea ceremony) and koto (floor guitar) just seem a little not cool. But I like big drums and the sound they make, and that its really physical and I would get to HIT something- talk about real stress relief!
The downside of wanting to do these things is that its going to cost me roughly $200 a month to do both. Hmm. Better get to work on these PJs!
And I am off to do just that! Big hugs all around~